Archive for February, 2016
Dear Polar Beverages,
I am disappointed that your company is supporting the Northeast Energy Direct (NED) pipeline, proposed by Kinder Morgan/Tennessee gas. You can find the text of your letter here: http://www.kindermorgan.com/content/docs/PB_SupportLetter.pdf
Please reconsider your support for this pipeline. Please write a letter of OPPOSITION to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and please persuade the MA food association to change their stance and oppose it as well. You can write to FERC using this web address http://www.ferc.gov/docs-filing/ecomment.asp. Please let me know when you have done this so that I can publicly thank you on various social media sites. I plan to BOYCOTT YOUR BUSINESS until you change your stance on this pipeline. I usually spend between $5 and $10 a week on your products.
Here is why I am asking you to oppose the NED pipeline:
NED Might not Help Reduce Cost:
- The pipeline might not reduce our electric costs. The MA food Association cited the cost of electricity as the main reason for supporting the pipeline. But the current proposal is that ratepayers will be assessed a tariff to build the pipeline, this initially increasing our rates. See this web address for more information: http://nhpipelineawareness.org/tariff/
- One reason for New England’s high electricity cost is Higher transmission fees than the rest of the country. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission is currently investigating these high fees. The NED pipeline will do nothing to lower transmission fees. http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20160110/NEWS05/160119977
- The MA Attorney General Maura Healy commissioned a study that found no new pipelines were needed. http://commonwealthmagazine.org/environment/healey-study-no-new-pipelines-needed/#.Vk0BOfaiek8.twitter
NED is NOT Environmentally Friendly
The MA food association support letter cited “cleaner” natural gas as a reason to support the Pipeline. However, NED is not more environmentally friendly than coal or other fossil fuels for these reasons.
- The process of extracting Liquid Natural gas (LNG) involved Hydraulic Fracturing (fracking). Fracking uses a great deal of water, and can contaminate that water. For example,e radioactive waste has been found in fracking wastewater – see here: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/radioactive-wastewater-from-fracking-is-found-in-a-pennsylvania-stream-351641/?no-ist
- There is evidence that Fracking produces more radioactive waste than nuclear power plants http://www.nofrackingway.us/2014/05/04/fracking-produces-more-radioactive-waste-than-nuclear-power-plants/
- Bad air quality: There is also evidence that the air around gas sites is dangerously contaminated http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2014/10/141030-dangerous-chemicals-in-air-near-oil-and-gas-sites-study/
- A pipeline such as NED needs compressor stations to pump the product along the route. These compressor stations have many environmental issues, including increasing respiratory and heart health issues for people who live nearby http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2014/10/141030-dangerous-chemicals-in-air-near-oil-and-gas-sites-study/ also see https://content.sierraclub.org/grassrootsnetwork/team-news/2015/08/what-health-conditions-are-associated-compressor-station-emissions
- Last but certainly not least, the pipeline can leak and contaminate the water supply of the many towns it travels through. These pipeline have also been known to explode, creating an “incineration zone” of 1,000 feet. http://www.naturalgaswatch.org/?cat=8
I hope that you take the time to better educate yourself on the pros and cons of the NED pipeline. Please use these references for more information:
I am happy to have a meeting or call with you and/or your company representatives to discuss this further. The NED pipeline is a SERIOUS environmental issue. As a seller of healthy foods, I urge you to take the broader community health into account as you decide to oppose this pipeline.