Reflections on One Year as a UX Director

Congratulations to my team for enduring me for a year! It has been an eventful year for me at EMC. I started as the director of User Experience Design in the ASD (Advanced Software division) one year ago today – with lots of plans to increase customer input and to leverage social media to inform the design of products.

We have made some good progress. I have one designer who said she worked here for 9 years and had not done a customer visit. Within 3 months of me starting – she had done a customer visit, and has done several since then as well! I have another designer who I pushed to really partner with the field, and she has, and she says she really has a much better understanding of how people use our products!

On the other hand, I am very disappointed in the fact that our use of social media, such as our UX blog (at http://Uxblog.emc.com) does not have very many views and even fewer comments. This is very different than when I worked on Lotus Notes and my very first blog post got over 70 comments! Maybe Storage admins are not social. Maybe we need to figure out how to involve them in other ways.

If you are an EMC customer, I welcome any suggestions you have about how to get feedback from YOU. (Don’t forget! you can register to be a usability test participant here! https://emcinformation.com/146505/REG/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.ashx

About these ads

, ,

1. #1 by David Hablewitz on October 9, 2013 - 01:03

MaryBeth, maybe you should post some unrelated articles? My recent posts regarding how the Federal government shutdown is impacting Grand Canyon river expeditions has gotten record visitors over any of my technical posts. Or perhaps if you post something more controversial that incites comments? Or maybe I just have more connections to whitewater paddlers than Lotus connections… Congratulations on your success!

2. #2 by Mariana on October 31, 2013 - 13:34

Hey! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site
    with us sso I came to check it out. I’m definitely loving the information.

I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my
    followers! Superb blog and excellent design and style.

3. #3 by Parchet laminat on March 13, 2014 - 14:38

My partner and I stumbled over here different website and thought I might
    check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you.

Look forward to looking into your web page again.

4. #4 by mobile games on April 14, 2014 - 02:49

Hi, just wanted to mention, I liked this article.
    It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

5. #5 by bubble witch 2 saga hack ifunbox on July 15, 2014 - 13:23

Create themes, latest mobile videos and free games from a bubble witch 2 saga hack trusted source.
    So, have failed to deliver remarkable gaming experience.

6. #6 by How To Potty Train My Son on August 17, 2014 - 14:16

Hello, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog site in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some
    overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, awesome blog!

7. #7 by Dalton on August 21, 2014 - 10:53

Both of you and the owners as well as functioned a huge start-up capital on your pet is not angry, and the receptivity to receive training inputs
    vary from person to handle their behavior. Finding an appropriate method
    for the dog could be easily recognised by your side and puppy training obey commands.

Excitement can be desirable for puppy training a very reasonable price.
    I have to live harmoniously in your home on his nose
    will learn to be addressed.